Ah, shortbread cookies… I cannot believe it is the Christmas season once again. We have been in decorating and baking mode working hard to get the most out of this festive season.
Most of our Christmas traditions are based around food and cookies are definitely the star. We usually bake a variety of sugar cookies, shortbread and gingersnap.
Everyone is our family has their own favourites and I would have to say that Shortbread cookies are my Christmas go-to. I am personally not a big fan of sweets or baked goods (all about that salty baby) so these cookies have just the right amount of sweetness!
We typically eat ours with the classic Maraschino cherry, but a few other toppings you can put on the shortbread cookies are:
- sprinkles (as seen in the photos)
- dried citrus
- herbs such as rosemary or lavender
- salted caramel drizzle
We made these particular cookies for an event so we went with the sprinkles to keep up with the theme, I think I prefer the cherry.
Best Shortbread Cookies
These cookies have a very soft buttery texture, NOT a crumbly one. A big mistake we see is people over baking their cookies! So make sure in order to keep them nice and soft ONLY bake them for about 8 minutes.
STORAGE: Store in a sealed Tupperware container. Shortbread also does great if you freeze it so make a big batch, freeze them and when its time to eat them just take them out of the freezer a few hours before you serve them! If your family is anything like ours the cookies will be gone before you know it!
Hopefully, you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! Comment below to us how much you enjoyed them along with what toppings you used.
The Best Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups Butter
- 1 cup Icing Sugar
- 4 cups Flour
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl or into your mixer
- Working with a pastry cutter or a dough hook, cut in cold butter until mixture is mealy
- Roll dough out about 1/2” thickness and cut out for cookies
- Place sprinkles or cherries onto cookies and transfer them onto a lightly greased cookie sheet
- Bake 350 for 8 minutes no longer
- Cool for about 3 min on a cookie sheet and move to a cooling rack